Thursday 12 February 2015

My Movie Picks for Valentine's

Hiya guys!

With the release of Fifty Shades of Grey only hours away (which I'm going to see tomorrow - eeek!) it has left me thinking about which movies are good for Valentine's Day.



There are of course many different circumstances and individuals when it comes to Valentine's Day, and to others it can mean something entirely different.  For example, I've not been in a relationship for a while so this Valentine's Day for me is about expressing my love for people who make me happy.  But on the other hand, whilst I am happy being by myself, I can't say I won't sit and watch a romantic comedy, a 'romcom', and feel a little lonely.  It's somehow natural.  And Valentine's Day falls on a Saturday this year.  So that leaves everyone with the perfect set-up of either an evening in or an evening out til all hours.  Below I have picked movies which I think are worth a watch if you haven't seen any of them, and hopefully gives you something to watch if you haven't picked anything yet or are just now realising it's Valentine's Day, which does happen so don't be embarrassed.


Romcoms
No Strings Attached
What Happens in Vegas
The Ugly Truth
Friends with Benefits
Mr and Mrs Smith
How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days
Cinderella Story
The Wedding Planner
Maid in Manhattan
13 Going on 30
Bridget Jones
Letters to Juliet
While You Were Sleeping

For the Girls
Sex and the City
Sex and the City 2
The First Wives Club 
Magic Mike
Easy A
Crazy, Stupid, Love

For the Guys
Paul
The Wolf of Wall Street
The Hangover
21 Jump Street
22 Jump Street
American Pie
Rush Hour 1/2/3

Thillers/Horrors/Action
Prom Night
Double Jeopardy
Basic Instinct
The Bone Collector
Dark Skies
Scream
Enough
The Expendables 3
World War Z
Fear

Comedy
The Heat
Monster in Law
License to Wed
Duplex (Our House)
The Big Wedding
Grown Ups
Death at a Funeral (2014)
Parental Guidance

Cry your Eyes Out
Dear John
The Vow
The Notebook
The Last Song
One Day
Remember Me
P.S. I Love You
The Fault in Our Stars

Saturday Film Marathons
Harry Potter 
The Lord of the Rings
The Hunger Games
The Hobbit Trilogy
Star Wars
The Dark Knight
Die Hard

I don't doubt there are movies in this list somewhere that were predictable.  That's simply because they're either classics, unavoidable or great for Valentine's Day.  I hope I've mixed it up for all audiences and there is at least one thing in this list everyone could watch.

I highlighted my favourite from each section in case a swift decision must be made, but when it came to the thillers etc. and comedies... I just couldn't pick one! They are really good movies.  Especially the comedies.

I loved Robert De Niro in The Big Wedding as I just found it different to roles I've seen him in so it complimented the film's comical base.  It really is worth a watch.
Who doesn't have a woman crush on Melissa McCarty? She's a genius and absolutely hilarious.  She killed it in Bridesmaids as well.  Her partnership with Sandra Bullock is great and I'll always be a little disappointed there isn't going to be a sequel.
 Monster in Law is a classic and a must see if you've never seen it, I promise you even if you hate the plot you'll have a laugh watching it.  I can relate to a couple of things in the movie so it's just perfect if you've found your partner's parent(s) a little insufferable.
Death at a Funeral was utterly hilarious the first time I watched it.  I sat on the sofa in disbelief someone had thought of such a plot for a movie, because it would be such a scandal and quite honestly a blood bath if these events took place at funerals I've attended.  It's a dark comedy in that sense and you'll find yourself laughing from shock and a mix of nerves with what happens.  Plus a lot of Chris Rock films can't steer you in the wrong direction.
Finally, Parental Guidance is a sweet family comedy which I didn't expect to be as good as it is.  Billy Crystal and Bette Midler are officially my movie mum and dad because of how well they work together.  They portray that companionship most grandparents display to their children and grandchildren, it's the two of them against all things life throws at them.  I'm making the movie sound dead serious when it's actually rather light.  It's about grandparents connecting with their grandchildren and their daughter (the mother) as they never see each other.  Bette Midler is desperate to bond with her family as her son-in-law's family is very involved.  As Bette Midler puts it; "we're the OTHER grandparents" who give the weird gifts, are weird people and live on planet weird.  LOL.


I hope I've given people some inspiration for movies this Valentine's Day and that you enjoy them.  Also have a great Valentine's Day/Weekend!

xxx






No comments:

Post a Comment